In this special edition of Digger magazine, we look at the challenging set of factors growers face today for finding and retaining employees, managing costs, and organizing production for maximum effectiveness.
- Help wanted: OAN Executive Director Jeff Stone addresses the severity of the labor shortage in Oregon.
- Eliminating waste with Lean: Lean processes result in greater value for growers and their customers.
- Striving for efficiency: Growers are looking to workflow improvement and automation so they can protect their margins and stay in business.
- The rising cost of compensation: Labor costs have become complicated by legislative mandates and persistent worker shortages.
- Battling a labor shortage: Oregon growers use various strategies to find and keep the workers that are essential to running a successful nursery.
Other topics featured in the May issue include:
- A nursery woman’s proverb: OAN President Leigh Geschwill pens a proverb in honor of nurserywomen everywhere.
- OAN Member Profile: Tsugawa Nursery: For nearly 35 years, Tsugawa Nursery has been one of the top garden centers in Southwest Washington.
- Getting return on your trade show investment: Exhibiting at a summer trade show, such as Farwest, can provide a lot of bang for your buck.
- Disinfectants: In search of a silver bullet: Answers to the question, “What is the best product to use for disinfecting tools, benches and greenhouses?”