With all the changes that happened this year, one thing didn’t: The nursery and greenhouse industry continues to be the #1 segment in Oregon agriculture.
This year, we feature Advanced Ornamentals Inc., Ernst Nursery & Farms, Lone Elder Nursery, and Swan Island Dahlias in our annual Nursery Country issue. Meet the growers making some of the highest quality products in the nation!
In this issue:
- Trade shows in the time of COVID: Two big industry shows plow ahead with virtual offerings.
- Oregon is Nursery Country: Meet the skilled growers who produce Oregon’s outstanding nursery and greenhouse material:
- Advanced Ornamentals Inc.: Built on a 150-year-old farm, this wholesale grower is on course to be run by the next generation of McKay family farmers.
- Lone Elder Farm & Nursery: Chris and Tom Utterback have created a B&B farm that provides hundreds of varieties of conifers.
- Swan Island Dahlias: America’s leading dahlia farm is the pride of Nick Gitts and his family.
- Ernst Nursery & Farms LLC: A high school junior’s greenhouse project has grown into a large-scale nursery enterprise.
- The greatest benefit of all: President’s Message by Kyle Fessler
- Milestones and new beginnings: Directors Desk by Jeff Stone
Growing Knowledge an ongoing series provided by Oregon State University in collaboration with the USDA and in partnership with OAN.
- Knowing your cedar pests: Grower awareness of problems can protect both grower and customer.
Please send your comments on the issue to editor Curt Kipp at email@example.com.