Greenhouse controllers are a great way to save both money and energy, but as with any improvement, there’s the upfront cost to consider. The Energy Trust of Oregon, a nonprofit dedicated to helping people be energy efficient, announced last week that it is rolling out an incentive for greenhouse growers. This could go a long way in helping growers decide to make the investment. Here’s the complete information that Energy Trust of Oregon provided to us:
Energy Trust of Oregon now offers a cash rebate for the purchase of a qualified intelligent greenhouse controller with night setback. This device replaces a standard greenhouse thermostat and saves greenhouse heating energy in two ways:
- Eliminates simultaneous heating and ventilation by coordinating all heating and ventilation equipment according to a single temperature sensor.
- Uses a night setback setting to reduce control temperature when less heating is required.
The rebate is calculated based on a rate of $0.03 per square foot of heated greenhouse space. A qualifying greenhouse controller purchased for a standard 30 ft. x 96 ft. heated greenhouse could be eligible to receive a rebate of $86.40.
To be eligible for the rebate, the greenhouse and the controller must conform to the following criteria:
- Controller must have a night setback feature.
- Heating and ventilation equipment must be controlled by a single control temperature.
- Controller must allow for a dead-band zone of 5°F or greater between heating and ventilation events.
- Greenhouse must be heated to at least 50°F for 30 or more days/year.
- Controller must allow the ability to temporarily override set program temperatures.
- Controller must control all heating and ventilation equipment in each greenhouse.
- Greenhouse size must be 15,000 square feet or less per controller.
To learn more, contact your greenhouse vendor or visit Energy Trust’s website at http://energytrust.org/industrial-and-ag/incentives/agriculture/.
Energy Trust of Oregon is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to helping utility customers benefit from saving energy and tapping renewable resources. Our services, cash incentives and energy solutions have helped participating customers of Portland General Electric, Pacific Power, NW Natural and Cascade Natural Gas save nearly $800 million on energy bills. Our work helps keep energy costs as low as possible, creates jobs and builds a sustainable energy future. Learn more at www.energytrust.org or call 1-866-368-7878.