The Retailers’ Choice Awards are a new addition to the Farwest Trade Show this year. The idea is simple: first, a group of retailers explores the show floor and finds the plants and products — whether old or new — that excite them. Then, they get together to compare notes. “It’s a real synergy effect,” said Danny Summers of Garden Center Group, who coordinated the effort.
After that, the results are tabulated and presented before an audience of show-goers, at the new Idea Center feature, as the Retailers’ Choice Awards. “These are chosen by retailers, for retail,” said Sid Raisch of Garden Center Group, who presented the awards along with Summers.
The awards are presented to the exhibitor showing the product, which is sometimes, but sometimes not, the company that introduced the product. They were given out on Friday afternoon, and include the following:
- Donica hibiscus, exhibited at Alpha Nursery (Booth #18019)
- Mason bees, exhibited by Crown Bees (Booth #22045)
- Styrax japonica ‘Marley’s Pink Parasol’, introduced and exhibited by JLPN Inc. (Booth #2049) and represented by Upshoot (Booth #2045)
- Digiplexis Illumination® Raspberry®, exhibited by Plug Connection (Booth #12026)
- Sambucus racemosa ‘Lemon Lace’ elderberry, exhibited by Proven Winners® Color Choice® (Booth #3045)
- Olympian Fig, Echibeckia Summerina series and Acacia cognata ‘Cousin Itt’, all exhibited by T&L Nursery (Booth #13015); the latter two selections are Pacific Plug & Liner introductions
- Begonia T-Rex series, exhibited and introduced by Terra Nova Nurseries (Booth #18061)
- Vaccinium macrocarpon ‘Lohzam’ groundcover cranberry, exhibited by UpShoot LLC (Booth #2045)
- Mixed variety trays of succulents, exhibited by Walla Walla Nursery (Booth #12019); and
- Clerodendron bungei (peanut butter tree), exhibited by Youngblood Nursery (Booth #18045)