The judges have spoken. And they have said that Bamboo Garden had the very best booth at the 2013 Farwest Trade Show, making them the winner of the Ted Van Veen Best of Show Award. The bamboo grower based in North Plains, Ore., has created a lush presence on the show floor with a generous amount of bamboo plants displayed throughout.
The award is named in honor of Ted Van Veen, an Oregon Nursery Hall of Fame member whose family continues to own rhododendron grower Van Veen Nursery in southest Portland. The booths are judged by different criteria depending on whether they offer plant material, or a service/supply. Plant/nursery booths are judged on use of plant material, the creativity of the display, the quality of the plant material, and the use of color/texture (not necessarily blooms). Service and supply booths are judged on the creativity of the display, how clearly the use of the product is demonstrated, and how effectively the product is displayed without clutter. For each division (nursery, or service/supply), there are three categories: Best 10×10, Best 10×20 or larger row booth, and best row booth. Once all six of these are chosen, one booth is chosen as the very best and named Best in Show.
Category winners included the following:
- Best 10×10 booth, Nursery: Dinsdale Nursery, Booth #7045
- Best 10×20 or larger row booth, Nursery: Bamboo Garden
- Best island booth, Nursery: Walla Walla Nursery, Booth #12019
- Best 10×10 booth, Service/Supply: Master Garden Products, Booth #21067
- Best 10×20 or larger row booth, Service/Supply: Down to Earth Distributors, Booth #22061
- Best island booth, Service/Supply: Myers Industries Lawn & Garden Group, Booth #5037
Be sure to stop by and see them all. The Farwest Trade Show will be open the rest of today, plus noon–6 p.m. Friday and noon–4 p.m. Saturday. #FindItAtFarwest!