The August issue of Digger is your guide to the Farwest Show. You’ll find details on exhibitors, seminars, social events, trade show floor features, tours and much more! Meet us there, August 21–23! Also in this issue, our writers share some unexpected picks for ornamental shrubs and creative solutions for ground covers. OAN members Kelleygreen Nursery in Drain, Oregon describe their expertise with Japanese maples. On a macroeconomic level, the nursery market is showing signs of recovery, and we offer business owners some moves to make before the next recession.
In this issue:
- Green from the ground up: Growers and designers share their top ground cover choices for any situation.
- Member Profile: Kelleygreen Nursery: A father-and-son team up to grow 300-plus Japanese maple varieties at this out-of-the-way nursery in Oregon’s Coast Range.
- Growing at the right pace: Nurseries consider strong demand — along with today’s unique expenses and risks — to arrive at balanced growth strategies.
- Moves to make while the economy is still good: Riding the wave of success is not enough. Here are steps you can take now to fortify your business against a future downturn.
- Exciting, unusual and underused shrubs: Branch out from the expected recommendations for shrubs that pull together a landscape’s framework.
- Growing our tomorrow: The Oregon Nurseries Foundation announces its 2019 scholarship recipients, who represent the green industry’s leaders and managers of tomorrow.
Farwest Show 2019
- Farwest Show New Products Showcase: Discover innovative solutions and improvements to the latest 2019 green industry products.
- Farwest Show Features: Explore everything that the Farwest Show has to offer.
- Farwest Exhibitor Search: Plan your route through the tradeshow floor.
- Welcome to Farwest: President’s message by Mike Hiller
- Where plants, growth and networking thrive: Directors desk by Jeff Stone
- Where gardeners turn for answers: What I’m Hearing by Mike Darcy
- Brewing up some lessons in marketing: Pivot Points by Ian Doescher
Growing Knowledge, an ongoing series provided by Oregon State University in collaboration with the USDA and in partnership with OAN.
- New cultivars from OSU: The Ornamental Plant Breeding Program at OSU is beginning to hit its stride and new cultivars are hitting the market – carrying the hopes of making positive impact on the industry.
Download a PDF of the full issue: Download a PDF of this article
Please send your comments on the issue to editor Curt Kipp at firstname.lastname@example.org.