Welcome to our first-ever Tree Issue! Articles inside include an in-depth analysis of the best crabapples varieties, the recipe for successful tree production, and helping the marketplace meet their customer’s expectations. In the Meet the Leader feature, read about the life and accomplishments of Rod Park, owner of Park’s Nursery and former OAN president and elected leader.
In this issue:
- A new day for crabapples: This flowering tree is on the upswing, thanks to disease resistance and all-season beauty.
- Getting the word out: Growers take on the responsibility of helping end customers choose their trees wisely.
- When you know what to grow: Several factors are important when considering which trees to produce, but profitability is king.
- Meet the Leader: Rod Park: Owner of Park’s Nursery, Rod Park, is an accomplished grower, elected leader, volunteer, and decorated OAN members.
- Blind Spots: President’s Message by Josh Robinson
- Smoldering ashes at the Capitol: Director’s Desk by Jeff Stone
- Trees that stand above: What I’m Hearing by Mike Darcy
Growing Knowledge an ongoing series provided by Oregon State University in collaboration with the USDA and in partnership with OAN.
- The solitary life of pocket gophers: Territorial animals can cause major problems in production.
Please send your comments on the issue to editor Curt Kipp at email@example.com.